Monday, August 31, 2009

Donaghadee

And so, up the coast to this very picturesque lighthouse standing smartly to attention at the end of the pier in Donaghadee. Originally erected in 1836, it was designed by the men who built the Eddystone Lighthouse off Plymouth, though substantially repaired when gutted by fire in 1900. Brendan Behan apparently painted this lighthouse, though I suspect more in a fine art way than a decorating way.
Incidentally, approaching Donaghadee from the south, I kept glimpsing what I assumed was the lighthouse at Mews Island, north east of Donaghadee. Ah, says I, I'll get a better view of it the further up the coast I go. Unfortunately between Donaghadee and the outskirts of Bangor there was no sea view at all. If I'd had time, I'd have detoured off to Groomsport where I believe it might have been possible to get a decent view, but the shops of Newry, like Danny Boy's pipes, were calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment