Sunday, January 2, 2022

Miraculous cure of the lightkeeper's daughter

 

Dundalk Bay lighthouse (photograph by Barry Pickup)

Gather round, ladies and gentlemen, don't be shy. Can you hear me at the back? Today I'm going to let you into the secret of Doctor Williams' Pink Pills for Pale People - a young lady pining away and growing paler by the minute; a lightkeeper's anxiety for his beautiful daughter. What's that you say? I'm a mere quack? Well, if you don't believe me, you'll surely believe the august and honourable Ballymena Observer of June 24th 1898 ... 




A quick glance at the 1901 Census return shows James (55) and Elizabeth (50) Walshe up in Blacksod, county Mayo on the beautiful Belmullet peninsula, where James could have tended the light at either Blacksod, Eagle Island or the remote Blackrock (Mayo) light. With the couple were their three daughters, Frances (22), Maude (17) and Esther (15) Seemingly Frances was the lady who had such a fortunate, life-changing experience, courtesy of Dr. Williams. 





4 comments:

  1. Any idea where I could order some? Also - I obviously need to have a carte de visite printed toot sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the poor girl looked very pale on her carte de visite. Obviously she needed to get new ones done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frances is definitely my husbands Great Aunt thankyou for this

    ReplyDelete