Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head


Right! I am now staking a claim for gobshyte of the year.
The last time I was out on Howth Head summit, I remembered looking down to the lighthouse. Consequently, I parked right up at the top of the summit in the car park there and walked right down a narrow track cut between the ferns and gorse to the lighthouse. It was only when about ten yards from the gate, that I saw the road. Immediately I realised that such an important light, complete with helipad for servicing Kish and Rockabill, would be bound to have road access.
Actually, the further down Howth Head you come, the more the lighthouse disappears from view. The gate of course was festooned with the usual Private Property, Death to all Trespassers notices that I duly ignored. The short laneway leads to the keepers cottages and then starts to dip, giving a good view of the light, which looks remarkably similar to the one on Howth Head.
Walking back up to the summit was not much fun. By the time I got back to the car, my legs were twitching involuntarily and my thighs seized up the following morning.








No comments:

Post a Comment