Sunday, February 23, 2014

Straw Island Lighthouse, co. Galway


One of the many lights I have yet to photograph, Straw Island is located at the southerly end of Inish Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands. I'm sure I must have passed this light many years ago on the boat from Rossaveal in the days before my interest in these edifices was whetted, in the days when you were very careful what you photographed because so many of them didn't come out!
Anyhow, this one is still on my To Do list. The reason I mention it is that it recently fell victim, albeit temporarily, to the heavy winds that ravaged Ireland at the end of the month. CIL has a good piece on it at http://www.cil.ie/who-we-are/news/straw-island-storm-damage.aspx.
The thing that I found fascinating was the fact that the alarm raised on the far side of the British Isles in Harwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment