Saturday, September 1, 2012

Kish Bank

Okay, the main reason for taking the ferry was to get a decent photo of the Kish Bank light. (Last time, taken from Howth Head, it was, erm, somewhat distant!)
I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get a little bit closer - I went Irish Ferries and, as you can see below, the bloody Stena Line ferry had a much closer view. Ah, don't worry, I thought, maybe we'll go a bit nearer on the way back. However, coming back it was rainy and misty and just as far away (bottom photo)

 On second thoughts, as the light is built on a sand bank, I'm kind of glad we didn't get too close! It was built in 1965 after being guarded for many many years by lightships. The engineering feat involved, which I don't fully understand, is apparently quite legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment