Monday, April 16, 2012

Inishgort

A beautiful Spring day, sunshine and the occasional shower, I decided to take a trip to Mayo to take in a few lighthouses. Inishgort was the first. It is situated on one of the thousands of islands in Clew Bay and no amount of Googling could help me as to where I could best see it from, if at all. Possibly there's a view from around the Croagh Patrick area and Beltra Strand but I thought I'd try Rosmoney first. (53° 49' 35.38" N 9° 37' 15.98" W)
Of course when I got to Rosmoney pier (about 5 miles north of Westport) there was no sign of the lighthouse but I set off along the shingle beach and after about 5 minutes where the shore takes a sharp left, the lighthouse hove into view. The pictures above and below taken from rthe small grassy hill above the beach

According to the Commissioners of Irish Lights, the tower was built in 1806 though the lighthouse directory throws some doubt on this, suggesting it may well date from 1827. The light was converted to solar power in 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment